Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Wikileaks footage of the Iraqi Journalist shooting

So I've wanted and planned to post this link a while ago. I guess I was waiting for a text we would read in class to connect this material to it. The footage came out in April of this year and I'm curious to find out if anyone heard about this when it came out? Given our discussion today in class I think it's relevant. It obviously fits with the Afghani killings and the US kill teams. Though the killings were not seemingly for sport, the quickness and certainty that a journalist with a camera was an 'armed' enemy who brought his children to a war is the easy diagnostic. Given that the war was not any Iraqi's creation to start, it’s fascinating how privilege lacks self-reflexivity and believes it's justified in making such a ridiculous comment. Where exactly are Iraqi children supposed to go when the country is at war? A war, no Iraqi asked for, either. I strongly recommend you watch the whole video. It's not simply that a man laughs when driving over a body that bothers me; actually laughing was not memorable when I watched it the first time. It is the satisfaction with which we kill that I find problematic. I think it closely parallels Neroni's article highlighting the smiling faces in Abu Ghraib. What's 'nice' about this clip is it's not simply pictures we see, but a conversation, communication and a performance. It's like the second best thing to a video camera sneaking into the Abu Ghraib prison while the U.S. soldiers tortured Iraqis.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20001802-38.html

No comments:

Post a Comment