Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Media and Democracy in the Middle East

So this is an issue I've wanted to comment on since reading our piece on "Television, Gender and Democratization in the Middle East." On page two of that article it says:
"We need historical specificity as well as sociological modeling; we need thick description of internal processes as well as analysis of external forces."

I was disturbed reading the article because of the basic assumptions within it (see page 5). Does Media help the Middle East become a democracy? I saw obvious flaws in looking at this assumption and judgment. One implicit assumption made is that in the West we have true democracy, another is that democracy is what everyone needs, and a third is the assertion that Media still controlled by the state though indirectly, is anything but democratic in both Western and Arab Countries (I'll be specific here, since I cannot fairly speak to Turks, or Iranians).

Hence, I question the influence of Media ownership in the Middle East as well as ownership in the West. An article I read recently while researching the US Kill Teams mentioned that CNN refused to air footage given them by a reporter of Soldiers killing innocent civilians. Since the US government does not directly own CNN, I wonder why it would not air such footage? In Reel Bad Arabs the producer states that Hollywood has always been a mouthpiece for the US government and policies. Given this reality, I'm including a link highlighting a much-unknown relationship to most people, but a pretty obvious block to democracy in the Middle East and in the West really. A few very powerful people, with strong governmental ties/interests across the board, own our Western and Arab media. A Saudi Prince will never advocate democracy, as Rupert Murdock will not reform FOX. Neither have any 'true' democratic desires in them. All look out for their own interests (see page 8 and 9 where there is reference made to the Princes and their ownership of media).

Anyway, I just had to reiterate the problematic assumptions the article makes to start. Although I will not denounce the fact that Media has provided a space to speak of unspeakable issues previously in groups in the Middle East. Also, though I do list this link, there are implicit assumptions that I still find questionable with the broadcaster and some that Reel Bad Arabs addressed. I just wanted to share another take on things.

In Joy!

http://article.wn.com/view/2010/10/17/NewsCorp_Chairman_Rupert_Murdoch_Tells_Shareholders_He_Will_/

Attention!!!! This is not a direct link. You must click on the link below it that has the title 'ground zero mosque, prince’ to see the clip.

No comments:

Post a Comment