Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Voting, democracy and complacency

From a foreign relations perspective America is one of the worldwide champions of Democracy and free elections. Anti-communist feelings are mainstream and there seems to be a strong belief that if only developing countries could work out legitimate democracies their problems could be solved.

Why is it then that so many Americans simply don't vote, aren't informed, and don't think that the outcome of elections is a relevant factor in their continuing happiness? It strikes me as a great contradiction.

Today I voted, after which I went to work at my restaurant job. I asked all of the people I work with if they voted, not a single one had. My roommate didn't vote, my boyfriend who lives in New York didn't vote. No one I spoke with today voted. I was a little bit surprised.

Various reasons were given including:
"I didn't have time"
"I'm registered to vote by mail, but I didn't fill it out"
"I'm registered in Fort Collins"
"I didn't feel like walking there"
"7 people control the whole world, so voting doesn't change anything, I just focus on my own things."
And my personal favorite...
"What were they voting for today?"

I am familiar with many articulate arguments that the political parties are essentially the same, and neither supports the real interests of the people, but if this is your point of view it seems as if you have a responsibility to try to change that system, not just throw your hands up. I think it is more often used as an excuse to opt out and not bother than as a legitimate pro active point of departure for activism.

Apart from the great frustration this experience caused me, it made me wonder how this state of affairs came about and why most people in America just don't vote and don't see it as a necessary part of living in a Democracy. What role does the media play in this phenomenon? What about negative political advertising? Not voting reflects either a great trust in the system or a great distrust, depending on who you ask.

This study by the Pew research Center sheds some light on the issue and gives some interesting statistics such as "29% of self-described liberals saying they are not registered to vote compared with 20% of moderates and 17% of conservatives"

"Whites continue to be disproportionally represented in the voting booth: 37% of whites are regular voters, compared with 29% of non-whites, including 31% of blacks and 24% of all Hispanics. Conversely, 40% of Hispanics and considerably smaller proportions of blacks (17%) and whites (20%) say they are not registered to vote."

I don't mean this query as a chastisement to those in the class who did not vote in this election, or who never vote. I can see various points of view that can lead to non-voting behavior, but I would love to hear these ideas articulated by those of you who don't vote, and those who do.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent Tess, very interesting. And unfortunately, although Obama generated alot of excitement including among young people who came out to vote in 2008, all too many have retreated and disengaged from the political process. It is easy to feel like one person cannot make any difference, but I am determined to be an optimist and have seen all too many times how one person's action including one person's vote CAN make a difference...and the world will not change if people don't keep stepping out to take action, regardless of the issue or the position.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote. Since the age of 18, I have always voted. It may sound silly, but the reason I vote is because I can. We Americans are very lucky to be allowed to vote and other people fought extremely hard for those rights. It wasn’t so long ago, the colonists were complaining about taxation without representation and even more recently, women around the nation starved, were arrested and imprisoned for me to be able to vote today. I understand that realistically, my vote doesn’t always make a difference and would never change an election, but my vote is part of the voice of America. I fully support the democratic structure of our county and I think each citizen is an important piece of that structure. Also, it is very important for people who work with children to recognize their position as a role model. What are we telling the American’s future generations if we all quit voting because __________ (fill-in a preferred excuse)? It is easy to make excuses. It is simple to say I am too busy, my vote won’t count or elections don’t matter. It is easy to become disgusted with the elections and the months of negative campaign ads. Considering all the reasons why people don’t vote, I have not heard one valid excuse not to vote.

    I agree with you, Tess, we have a responsibility to do something about our country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unlike Margie, I am a pessimist - hoping one day to become an optimist. Though, I voted. I voted because I believe it is my responsibility and a right so many in our past fought to make possible. Additionally – the movie Iron Jawed Angels is burned in my brain. And I am now even more invested in contributing positively, as much as I can, to a sain and truly democratic future for my daughter.
    Although - I will say I can understand many American's frustrations with our political sphere. To me, politics are almost always dichotomized in mass media. We are constantly inundated with - “one or the other.” We are made to think there are only two sides to every issue or story. For example: every time I have EVER looked further into an issue on the Government’s agenda I have ALWAYS found the issue was so much more extensive and complex than the media made it out to be and not at all black and white.
    Figures like 3% voted for the green party and 2% for independent flashing up on the screen make me feel defeated. Though I am not making an excuse for not voting because I believe we all should, though I do get some of the disenchantment out there.
    Also, the stats you posted are very interesting – especially when looked at in light of all this “German integration” push. I am wondering whether the lower rate among non-whites is due to feelings of exclusion, rejection, subjugation, etc.?

    ReplyDelete