Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Positivity...False Advertising?

Sort of to go off of my last post, I flew home to Pittsburgh the other day, and at my family's house we have newspapers and magazines in paper form, not online, (whoo, yes!). And one thing that I noticed when I got back was the cover of a readers digest (August issue). The headline or major story reads- "AMAZING PETS, A surfing pug, a hero cat, and more..." The others include "One man's story, Who killed my son?", "7 sure signs of a rip off" and "Tap your body's healing power." None of these stories are typically sensational, and few are about the major media interests: disaster, conflict, politics, celebrity, economy, or crime.The story about the death of the mans son- even from the title- is about the man's story, not a 500 word story about who was killed where, when, how and why found in most newspapers. There are many things that I love about Reader's Digest, including the short funny stories that readers send in and vocabulary related challenges, but I have to say, the story about someone's super pet doesn't encourage me to open up the issue.


Upon opening it, I find the story "The secrets of Sobibor, an oral history" about a revolt at a Nazi death camp in Poland. The site has since been burned and buried. HELLO!!! super pet is on the front and the forgotten death camp is something might happen to find??

This is an example of a source of media selling positive stories, but quite honestly I feel decieved. People should know about Sobibor, even if its not a pretty story, it matters to the world more than someone's pet who does circus tricks. Any thoughts on this media selling tactic?? Would you pick up this issue based on the cover story? And how would you feel upon finding the story about the death camp inside with no mention on the cover?? I am very interested in your opinions!!

Here is the link to the death camp story: http://www.rd.com/your-america-inspiring-people-and-stories/the-secrets-of-the-sobibor-death-camp/article183235.html

Here is the link to the cover story about amazing pets: http://www.rd.com/your-america-inspiring-people-and-stories/6-amazing-pets/article183193-1.html

No comments:

Post a Comment