Sunday, November 14, 2010

Inspiration: The one dollar a day project

I came across this video and I had to share. I think I'll leave this blog on a happy one. I was so inspired. The men doing this reminded me of John Pierre with his activism. People asked, is water boarding torture? John Pierre experimented on himself. These men are doing the same thing. They realized most of the world lives on a dollar a day. They asked, can we live on a dollar a day ourselves? Let's find out. So, they are documenting their eight week experiment and I was inspired and awed.

http://onedollaraday.weebly.com/

Check them out. It made me feel fuzzy/good inside. I think this would be an example of International activism communicated on the internet. The communication is itself the activism. Also, putting your own body, a body Westerners can relate to on the line, and documenting that is inspiring.

In joy!

1 comment:

  1. Great! A truly inspiring thing! Interestingly, I have noticed this all over Facebook recently, meaning people are really responding to and spreading the positive message.

    It's a great example of internet activism and harnessing the power of viral social media to encourage change. It'll be interesting to see where this ends up and if it will ultimately result in a media spectacle or actually facilitate changes in attitudes and behavior. I think you're right about the power of using a Western body to convey the severity of many non-Western countries' situations, as it provides something people can relate to and emphasizes that people are the same beneath the surface and suffer the same ways when forced to live on $1 a day.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete