Tuesday, November 23, 2010

"Books take too long..."

Hello all,

We had a number of dicussions this quarter about how technology is a huge component of globalization and the changing face of communication. I got a facebook in college. At orientation for my undergrad, we were all excited to get our college email in order to make a facebook account. Now, as we know, everyone from little brothers to moms have facebook. Additionaly, when I write papers, I am frustrated when I see that the relevant title is an "online source." This means that I will have the source, immediately.. but it also means that I am going to have to juggle multiple windows on my desktop and be generally frustrated. I now have a "smart phone" which allows me to read my email, get directions, and a million other things I haven't even tried out. However, sometimes being constantly connected drives me nuts. I wonder what it i like for the generartion younger than myself- if they are learning to multi task or training themselves in a way that makes them have attention disorders. This article sheds some light on the issues.



http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/21/technology/21brain.html?_r=1&hpw

1 comment:

  1. I'm curious too about how younger generations are negotiating this hyperconnectivity. I often look at my 9yr old sister and wonder if her ability to focus is being compromised by technology. She has certainly been adept at picking up computer skills - she reminds my mom how to email and can find Taylor Swift videos on Youtube unbelievably fast! - but it's unclear how much of her attention issues are related to tech and how much is simply because she's a hyper kid. Ironically, I have noticed that her ability to concentrate on playing computer games to the exclusion of all other external stimuli is quite advanced. I wonder what long-term studies on the wired generation will reveal in 10 or 20 years...

    ReplyDelete